Just as the saying goes: "A Picture paints a thousand words."
We live in the age where everyone is a "photographer" or "videographer" having handy the cameras on our mobile phones and with more than 2.5 billion camera phones in use we are entering a new dynamic era around image creation and content creation according to various experts.
There are three phases in our lives today that has contributed to this age of visual culture and the way we communicate :
1. Massive increase of photos being generated.
2. The rise of social networks and image posting - uploading and sharing videos, photos / images to express ourselves.
3.Videos and images becoming interactive - embedded links in images that take you to websites and products.
The situation is not only that you should use images and videos in your business communications, marketing and social networks but also the quality of the videos and images, especially for your business.
Recognising this, big Hollywood celebrities are increasingly using images and videos on Instagram and Facebook to increasing fans. Example like Stallone (2.1 million followers), The Rock (70.4 million followers) and celebrity chefs like Jamie Oliver (5.1 million followers).
Statistics have shown that :
- Articles with images get 94% more total views
- Including a Photo and a video in a press release increases views by over 45%
- 60% of consumers are more likely to consider or contact a business when an image shows up in local search results
- In an ecommerce site, 67% of consumers say the quality of a product image is “very important” in selecting and purchasing a product
- In an online store, customers think that the quality of a products image is more important than product-specific information (63%), a long description (54%) and ratings and reviews (53%)
- Engagement rate on Facebook for photos averages 0.37% where text only is 0.27% (this translates to a 37% higher level of engagement for photos over text). Videos posted on Facebook doubles the organic reach than images.
· If you have an e-commerce store or a website you need to include quality professionally taken high definition images to drive higher engagement and sales;
· For your blogging and press releases you should include original images with your articles;
· If you are active on the popular social networks like Instagram, Pinterest or Facebook as an important part of your marketing strategy then you need to include quality, interesting images or videos in your updates that could include links and accompanying intelligent text messages.